Moving Expenses

Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the only taxpayers who may deduct unreimbursed moving expenses for 2018 and later years are members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty who move pursuant to a military order and incident to a permanent change of station.  These qualifying Arm Forces members are also the only taxpayers who may exclude employer allowances or reimbursements for eligible moving expenses.

Note: You do not have to itemize your deductions to be able to deduct moving expenses. This deduction is what we accountants call “above the line” so it is a direct $1 for $1 reduction in your gross income.

If you moved twice, please submit two different forms.

Moving Expenses

What was the total spent on moving vans, movers and storage during your move? Please be specific.

What was the total spent on travel including lodging (meals cannot be included)? Please be specific.

Did you use your own vehicle to move your possessions? (mileage may be deducted) How many cars were driven?

Please explain how this move was work-related.

Did you receive any reimbursements from your employer for the moving expenses? Do you have a code P on your W-2?
If so, please explain.


Please select the tax year that this information is associated with. In addition, please enter your name so we can group your submissions together plus your email address. Click the Submit button below to securely and safely send this information to us. You can submit as many forms as needed. If you later discover an error- simply re-submit your information and check the box below letting us know.

Yes     No